• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

Make: Kings Arms
Weapon: L1a1 SLR (Self Loading Rifle)
Weapons Name: Betty
Cost: 250 Second hand, including 1 battery, 2 mids, a high and sling

Setting the Scene
So the sun was beating down hard on the heads of the Royal union Rifles as we waiting patiently in the tree line for the artillery to signal the start of the attack. 1 Section on the left, 2 on the right and the FSG (Fire Support Group) in the centre. I was kitted out in a way I've never been kitted before, everything i wore was from the period, my feet in ammo boots I knew would do me nothing but harm, trousers that were thick, and heavy, a jacket that lacked comfort and style, webbing that ached, and would cause me more grief than bareable if wet, and a steel helmet covered in an itchy homemade scrim that graced my bonce. In my arms was Betty. I had taken the chance, and named her after her Majesty. What better way to kill Ivan I ask you? I had toyed with the idea of naming her Maggie, but that went out quickly... maybe if i get a sidearm!? Betty is longer than anything I've used in the field befoe (Yeah laugh it out boys and girls!) and she wasnt exactly light. But god was she sexy. There was a thump as a series of mortars left their tubes, and over the battle net Sunray came crackling in order the RUR to advance. I shouted a garbled order forward and my men broke into life, 7 Riflemen behind me and Betty tight in my hands, we poured out of the clearing and into the murderous fire. We took hits, and men dropped, before we all flung ourselves to our belt buckles to provide cover for 2 Section. It was this time that I took a hit, and dissapointed that I had taken one without even firing, I lay still, teeth clenched whilst a medic patched me up. Taken no more shit, I flipped onto my stomach, took aim and began blatting off rounds. What can I tell you? Amazing accuracy. I was hitting targets at well over 50m, which for me is something of an acheivment...

Cons
The weapon is long, and is difficult to negotiate in and out of windows if you are un-familiar with it
The sling is not fantastic, and you can only really have it slung when your marching to and from firefights
The Change lever isnt great, and sometimes its difficult to know whether your on full auoto (Yes, i appreciate that an SLR doesnt have full auto -minus the matchstick trick) but this one does!

Pros

Its fucking sexy
Its is accurate as fuck due to the long barrel
Its not massively painful to take hits from her, but you do know you are hit (Quoting Marc from Lazy Company 'I'm not here to hurt people')
Its not the same as everyone else

Final summary
If you want a weapon from the cold War period, then do it, spend the money, I've rented on more than 10 occasions, have owned three different weapons and never had anything as good as this.

Postscript
Nervously I padded through the barn towards the safe zone and Chronoing outside. Sitting there was Marc with his Range finder thingy, and .20s. I was first. I was sure Betty was firing high. i assumed 360-380 FPS. I didint want to have to use some other weapon, that would be like cheating! I loaded the light BB's and brought her up to aim...... 300 FPS. He checked again... 300 FPS. Wow. I taped her up, and walked back to the waiting STLI lads. 300 FPS! She was firing on 300 FPS, and was killing people at a proper distance... Bliss! Thank you Belgium for inventing the FAL, thank you Britian for Designated the SLR, and thank you kings Arms!
Posted Image
SPACKTACHE LIGHT INFANTRY: WE SKIFFED YOUR SISTER

PROVIDER OF EMBROIDERED TEAMWEAR AND BADGES/PATCHES: WWW.GRAB-GRAPHICS.COM

#2 Daniel

Daniel

STLI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:43 PM

Alright, fine, i'll buy one! Well, before September anyway... :D

Seriously though, good review. For a horrible moment there I thought you were selling her...

#3 hendrix

hendrix

STLI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:16 PM

Dan, I'd sell a Kidney before I sold Betty!
Posted Image

#4 Marc

Marc

pistol lover & Gunner boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft cars motorbikes

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:19 PM

Nice review m8.... she is a lovely gun :)
Gunner.

#5 hendrix

hendrix

STLI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

cheers Marc!
Posted Image

#6 Heide

Heide

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Bushcraft, martial arts, military history.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

Nice review! You love your KA as much as I love my Star/Ares one!

If anyone is after a KA SLR, there's one for sale over on zeroin. I have no connection to the seller! http://www.zeroin.co...ad.php?t=116467

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users