4 replies to this topic

#1 Gadge

Gadge

Von Bek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

I've been slowly building up a 50s and 60s British Army in the far east impression. Intersetingly the 'bad guys' (depending on your point of view) during the Borneo 'confrontation' wore a mix of WWII era US kit with the odd bit of brit wwii kit... essentially Indonesian army in the 60s look like wwii USMC!

So and easy game to do as its OG all over for brits and US Pacific camo for the indonesians.

I'm trying to do a 'spot on' british army impression for the mag at the moment though, it needs a lot of work but bear in mind i'm going for 'museum quality' here not 'skirmishing' :)

This is rough as the badgers proverbial at the moment.

Trousers are WWII pattern, they were worn but not universally and probably not by Borneo. Shirts too small but getting them in my size is tricky, bush hats a repro, missing a second water bottle and a machete, also still need a no5 or SLR bayonet... would prefer black and green rather than all green boots and most obviously of all pouches are empty and i'm wearing very modern glasses :)

Easy fixs are the lack of tactical signs on the bush hat.. i intend to sew on a white circle or weave in some white tape.

I could also do with a one colour scrim, i only own two colour ones so I left it off.

Got a 42 pattern bergan or an 18 set for my back but again as I'm just trying out the basics i left that off.

Kit is:

Repro 44 pattern Bushhat £10
Original 50s pattern aertex jungle shirt £5
Repro WWII jungle trousers £20
Original 44 pattern webbing, all dated around 1956-60 £40
Original brit jungle boots. £12

You could equally wear for filmsim and still look damn good

plain OG bush hat from any market £5
Brit OG GS shirt £5
Brit OG lightweights £10
58 Pattern webbing £20
DMS boots (about) £15

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rubbish pic quality as i'm working from home on my own today so I had to take video and crop out stills in paint!

Weapon wise as mentioned on the Oman thread i've got stuff thats either too early (no4 and sten MKII) or a bit too late for Malaya (SLR, they were used especially by kiwis in 57 and 58 and onwards by Brits.)

#2 Ramsay

Ramsay

Lance Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:WWII history, military vehicles

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Looks interesting I have most items to do this. Would be an outing for the STEN MKV or the SLR.
Have you dyed the trousers? Or what was the source of them they look darker than the usual Sanjay minty green.

#3 Gadge

Gadge

Von Bek

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Normal Sanjay ones. I just have not rinsed the crap out of them. Think i've washed them twice :)

#4 Gadge

Gadge

Von Bek

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

Better pics. went for an early Malaya look, Gat should be a jungle carbine no5 but dont have one of those. Some no4s were in theatre though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 PolzyStevo

PolzyStevo

Private

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Another option is The Malayan Scouts as seen in this photo (It's actually my partners grandfather) in Malaya. Armed with an M2 carbine, cut down webbing and JGs.

Attached Files

All Four One, and One For All.
TheDrop.jpgGreenback.gifgothic.jpgBULLET.jpghighway_zps1981aaf1.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users