#1 Hangman

Hangman

Hangman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:<br />Scuba Diving, Cycling, Theatre (Stage Manager), Bush craft,

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:39 PM

"The RICAS Compact (Releasable Integrated Combat Armour System) is a low profile armour carrier system with an Internal Release Mechanism around the waist and quick snap shoulder release which allows fast removal of the system in the event of injury. The Compact can hold most large scale ballistic plates front and back with the option to add small ballistic plates in the side compartments, should you decide not to insert plates, the sides are very handy for carrying up to 4 extra 5.56 mags and or a pistol. The Compact is made from hard wearing 1000D Cordura with reinforced stitching, and includes a heavy duty drag handle."

"The CIRAS / RICAS is widely used in U.S. special forces, They are also being allowed as private purchase equipment by UK forces in Iraq and Afghanistan due to the poor performance of the current issue vest (Osprey)."

There are a variety of manufacturers mostly US aimed squarely at those serving in the forces and the price tags reflect that.

Warrior Assault Systems (and their main distributor UK Tactical http://www.uktactical.com/ ) are a UK company who are producing equipment that is within the reach of UK forces without the price tag or faff of importing from abroad.

There are two main types of RICAS (also known as CIRAS) tactical vests the Land (Compact) or the Maritime / Marine (Standard / Full size).

Whilst I like the idea over traditional webbing the main problem I have with tacvests is that being 5'7" they tend to be long in the body and as such dig into my stomach and / or top of my leg when crouching down behind cover, the compact version is designed to be adjusted so the bottom comes level with your belly button negating the problem of so called 'full size' vests.

First off the vest comes as is (and can be bought on it's own if you already have MOLLE pouches) or you then order the pouches you want.

I ordered the vest with the following pouches all in Olive Drab:

1x Admin panel
1x Large dump / utility pouch
1x Small medic pouch
1x Universal adjustable radio pouch
1x Low profile pouch (5.56)
1x Open Single mag pouch
2x Triple open mag platform
1x Double molle pistol pouch

Buying all items individually would have cost 175-00, however by phoning before placing the order and chatting with staff at UK Tactical and they priced it as a bundle so the actual cost was 145-00.

The kit itself doesn't give many clues as to it's price, it is very well made with no lose threads or unfinished stitching, as advertised it is 1000D Cordura which is about the heaviest gauge you can get without specially ordering it.

The vest arrived fully rigged with the exception of the quick release pull, there is a standard fixing with paracord in the back, the quick release can be fitted in under a minute, however, I have removed mine as it really isn't needed in an airsoft environment but is a temptation for idiots to give it a yank in the safezone dumping your kit on the floor. According to chat on some airsoft forums this is a common 'joke'.

First off adjust the shoulder straps so that the bottom of the vest is level with your belly button / mid stomach line.

The front flap comes up and the cumberbund is released on velcro, drop the flap and adjust the vest on the buckles at the sides (as shown on the second photo) lift the front flap put the cumberbund sections down as per the picture and then secure the front flap.

Next stage is to lift the rear flap and adjust the cumberbund fixing (remember the paracord fixing I spoke about?) Once done your vest is now properly adjusted.

Attaching the pouches is the usual in out threading that you need to do to ensure the pouches stay put, the press studs go together with a satisfying 'click' that only heavy duty fasteners make.

Again the Dorking game was the first shakedown for this piece of kit and it worked wonderfully it was comfortable, stable even when fully loaded with mags, pyro and my Source water bladder cable tied to the back of it. it made a big difference being able to crouch down without having my rig digging into my legs and lifting up (this can make shouldering a weapon a real faff).

The open mag pouches worked as advertised with quick access to the magazines, I did also get some magpuls and attach those to my magazines,

The pictures on UK Tactical's website show the rig and pouches in Tan for clarity but they also come in Olive Drab.
Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

I'm so far gone I'm coming back to sanity...

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;

http://www.wildcrafts.org.uk/

#2 Swerve

Swerve

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

Seconded. The ring before you buy tip for a large order is absolutely spot on too.

UKTactical know me bey name now rolleyes.gif The Warrior kit they sell is top notch.

#3 Yankee Mike

Yankee Mike

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

I have a collection of warrior pouches and their W-RPC7 low profile Plate Carrier and I must say they are all built to last. Warrior certainly provide great kit at a very competitive price. The only problem I have come across is getting hold of the stuff as it is often out of stock.
Corporal Hancock: Sir.
[Offers mug of tea]

Major General Urquhart: Hancock. I've got lunatics laughing at me from the woods. My original plan has been scuppered now that the jeeps haven't arrived. My communications are completely broken down. Do you really believe any of that can be helped by a cup of tea?

Corporal Hancock: Couldn't hurt, sir.

#4 millest

millest

Tactical Telecomms

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

ive heard mention of these availible in CB, and im sure i sure one listed on a certain forum named after a famous terminating actor, but havent since seen one!
if they are could some one drop me a link?
cheers
millest

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image
Millest's Mediocre Meanderings
Millest's Ebay

#5 Nick

Nick

Forum Admin & Marshall

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  • Interests:Computing, Web Design, Airsoft, Cycling

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:32 PM

ive heard mention of these availible in CB, and im sure i sure one listed on a certain forum named after a famous terminating actor, but havent since seen one!
if they are could some one drop me a link?
cheers
millest

They do them in CB well really its tan, but ive got some 5.11 cb trousers and have also compared it to blackhawk and eagle cb stuff and its virtually the same colour now adays. It used to be a lot lighter in colour but is now darker.

See http://www.uktactica...e_Carriers.html

#6 millest

millest

Tactical Telecomms

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:09 PM

do you have on of their "coyote tan" verions? i know its a bit of an ask but if so is there any chance next time im up i can have a look and compare it to some of my pouches if your using it?
cheers

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image
Millest's Ebay

#7 Nick

Nick

Forum Admin & Marshall

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  • Interests:Computing, Web Design, Airsoft, Cycling

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:25 AM

do you have on of their "coyote tan" verions? i know its a bit of an ask but if so is there any chance next time im up i can have a look and compare it to some of my pouches if your using it?
cheers

I have and yes you can.

#8 millest

millest

Tactical Telecomms

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

cheers mate, your a star. i dont know when im up next but ill drop you a PM and see if your up that weekend or evening if i make it to one of those games
cheers
millest

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image
Millest's Ebay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users