26 replies to this topic

#1 Target

Target

Mr Gunman

• Gunman Management
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,925 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

I wore a real set at the weekend and after Robbie helping me wear it properly was very comfortable. Cheap as chips and easy to get hold of, great for all purpose airsofting. Holster can be easily added to along with other non pattern systems.

Feel free to add to this guys

#2 Fluffy Bunny

Fluffy Bunny

Tea Drinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:Shizzle

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

Top tips for '58 pattern...

Stuff the bottom of the ammo pouches with a scrim net or burlap so that you don't have to fumble around the bottom to find your stanag or SLR/FAL mags.
The pouches were designed to take 3 7.62mm mags plus extra ammo in boxes and thus your mags will sink out of sight without something underneath to keep them on the lip of the pouch.
Dirty AK users won't have this problem!! :)

If your poncho roll is missing the straps to attach it to the ammo pouches and pull the whole set together nie and tightly use a bungee to go round the webbing set to keep it all held together. This also helps to stop the pouches flapping around when they're empty.

Some may find the belt and clips rub on bony hips. If you can't find or afford a hippo pad for the belt a length of pipe lagging taped with bodge (duct) tape to the inside of the belt will do wonders.

#3 adrianlap

adrianlap

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Lazy Company

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

Good old 58, spent many an hour wearing the stuff, just a few problems with it, the back packs simply not big enough and difficult to wear, tends to move around alot, that can be remedied by simply getting an other type of pack, "enough said" but most of all....58's made of canvas'.... if your like myself a Filmsimer' you will carry most of your equipment with you all day/ food/ water ect,.....just a tip, make sure you put everything you can in plastic bags.....cos when it gets wet....it stays wet and heavy, the same as any canvas webbing, 56 ect.

On the other side, also completely agree with the comments above, very good kit, cheep and readily available can be made to fit very well with some wiring and taping, add some padding ....perfect, nice and tight, also holds loads of kit....deep mag pouches, kidney pouches...loads of room for food and bits an bobs.

RTO LazyCo.

#4 White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit

GMA Marshall

• Members
  • 2,587 posts
  • Interests:guns, gear, films and the mrs

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

I picked up a set for just 10 + P+P from platoon stores a few weeks back, brought back many many memories from when i was young, 58 pattern just like PLCE takes an age to get set up jus right, youll be forever doing little adjustments for weeks to come, but once you get it sorted it will work like a dream :D

#5 rex-bellorum

rex-bellorum

Lance Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:28 AM

just got an spanking set for 25 quid on ebay just cant get the musty smell out

#6 White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit

GMA Marshall

• Members
  • 2,587 posts
  • Interests:guns, gear, films and the mrs

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:14 AM

dude the musty smell is all part of it ;)

#7 Dr Penguin

Dr Penguin

Upbeat Loony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:Vodka

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

I picked up a set for just 10 + P+P from platoon stores a few weeks back, brought back many many memories from when i was young, 58 pattern just like PLCE takes an age to get set up jus right, youll be forever doing little adjustments for weeks to come, but once you get it sorted it will work like a dream :D

Never had the joy of using it except in airsoft, but it's been standard rig now, once you get it sorted out it's damn comfortable.
Wellington: There's only one way to win a campaign shout, shout and shout again.
Blackadder: You don't think that inspired leadership and tactical ability have anything to do with it?
Wellington: NO! It's all down to shouting. WAAGGHH!

#8 womble

womble

Lance Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:airsoft, women and cuban cigars.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

Top tips for '58 pattern...

Stuff the bottom of the ammo pouches with a scrim net or burlap so that you don't have to fumble around the bottom to find your stanag or SLR/FAL mags.
The pouches were designed to take 3 7.62mm mags plus extra ammo in boxes and thus your mags will sink out of sight without something underneath to keep them on the lip of the pouch.
Dirty AK users won't have this problem!! :)

If your poncho roll is missing the straps to attach it to the ammo pouches and pull the whole set together nie and tightly use a bungee to go round the webbing set to keep it all held together. This also helps to stop the pouches flapping around when they're empty.

Some may find the belt and clips rub on bony hips. If you can't find or afford a hippo pad for the belt a length of pipe lagging taped with bodge (duct) tape to the inside of the belt will do wonders.

ak users,thats me

#9 Farrasdevell

Farrasdevell

Lance Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

Still got the set my father was issued around '73. He used it till he left in '90 then I had it as a cadet and up. Even once PLCE was the norm it still came out in the back of the truck as extra carriage. Nowdays it is in the garage still with a full load -ammo and mags (replaced with More water carrage and food) as a bugout kit.

It's just not practical for average skirmishing even most milsims, I Never need to carry that much gear unless I'm weekendering+

I found the old SOP carry list while clearing out a few months back I'll see if I cant find it. It is fierce what used to be lugged about. Of course the weight is made up by body armour nowdays but it is still a Lot of gear.

*edit
oooo here is a link
http://www.clash-of-...mage_number=263
This loading did not change a great (mags and helmet changes in 86) deal until the early 90's. 1st gulf and most of the Balkans campaign was fought in a mix of old/Very old and barely made it through testing kit.

#10 Gadge

Gadge

Von Bek

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

The real trick to 58 pattern is setting it up properly. the real key is to wedge each pouch right up against each other and everything should go from hip to hip... nothing should be further than your hips so you can go prone and still use your pouches. If its set up properly and your poncho roll is on the top with your poncho in and your nbc kit in a second roll on the bottom (do it the other way around and you cant get a bergan on) it shoudl coil round you and support itself.

Done properly it feels like it weighs a lot less and supports the back rather than wrecking it. I can wear my 58 webbing for ages and not feel my spine injury but my modern ops vest shreds my back after a few hours.

If you're not doing anything too strenuous you should do NI reduced order webbing of a belt, two ammo pouches and a water bottle. That was the norm for foot patrols. It's a pig rebuilding a good set back and forth though so best to buy a seconf set for this.

#11 Gadge

Gadge

Von Bek

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

While we're on the subject i've got this on my IS reduced webbing (right and ammo pouch, bino pouch *this* pouch and a pistol holster), does anyone know what it's for. I was never issued one. Is it for a SUIT sight?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm currently using it to keep pistol mags and speed loaders in as they get lost in 58 main pouches!

#12 bob drinks beer

bob drinks beer

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

ive read there was a specific pouch for the suit, so it could be... ive never seen one...
<!--coloro:#808000--><span style="color:#808000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#006400--><span style="color:#006400"><!--/coloro--><b>Was he on our side? Ah crap!</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#13 Bren gun carrier

Bren gun carrier

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

Gadge, i would say, going by the stitching, the button closure and the loop, that was made within unit (rigger if you like) for a specific purpose i know not what. Never seen one like that but have seen bits made up in small batches for odd items.
The suit sight pouch is a sturdy nylon affair with the standard closure quite different to the rest of 58 pattern ( i believe because they were issued with the sight not as a g1098 jobbie). Cheers.

#14 bob drinks beer

bob drinks beer

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

If its set up properly and your poncho roll is on the top with your poncho in and your nbc kit in a second roll on the bottom (do it the other way around and you cant get a bergan on) it shoudl coil round you and support itself.

when you say bergen do you mean the metal framed one, or the normal "large" pack? i got hold of a metal framed one, and cant figure out where its supposed to sit on my back with the extra roll on...
<!--coloro:#808000--><span style="color:#808000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#006400--><span style="color:#006400"><!--/coloro--><b>Was he on our side? Ah crap!</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#15 Gadge

Gadge

Von Bek

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

Not many things will with the extra roll on.

By bergan i mean either the gs bergan with the frame emoved like i use to use in cadets, or a civvy bega of the type ued alot on the 80s.

I nt think anyone used the large pack out of training or PR photos if they could help it... .utterly useless bit of kit.

#16 Bastonne

Bastonne

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:building things and combat games

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

im a rather tall bugger and i love my bastardised 58 webbing and it keeps evolving in to something that blackadders Baldrick would be proud of

#17 edgjor22

edgjor22

Lance Corporal

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:ARMY and anything to do with guns, aswell cadets and gunman airsoft

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

hi folks i do ccf combined cadet force i have a personal plce webbing set what i do to keep my puches tight and wiggle free is use a bungee to keep them tightly together this reduces the noise aswell for when i go on operations at nite e.g. aswell i reccemend adjusting the back pouches so their about your butt so when you run they dont keep hitting it.

hope this helped someone :]

thanks jordan :]

#18 Mad-Larkin

Mad-Larkin

Troll number 1

• GMA Marshall
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

whilst i am sure that it's helpful to anyone who wants plce, this is a discussion thread about the 58 pattern webbing that many use for ww2 or other themed games.
-- Oderint Dum Metuant -- Trample the weak, Hurdle the Dead -VTAC -- Improve your skill set before you improve your weapon! Its much more rewarding ;) -Nellboy --

(",)

#19 dieselmonkey

dieselmonkey

AKA Evo.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, reenacting

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

whilst i am sure that it's helpful to anyone who wants plce, this is a discussion thread about the 58 pattern webbing that many use for ww2 or other themed games.

The bungee trick also works on 58 pattern, and was a period 'fix'. I think Pete mentioned he used to do it.

#20 Gadge

Gadge

Von Bek

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

Yep, i use a bungee on mine.

The other advantage of a bungee is you can attach local foliage to the rear of your webbing (before the 90s shift to cam just the head and shoulders as thats all that should be seen if moving tactically, it was vogue in the 80s to look like a walking bush in some units) without having to sew elastic strips to your webbing.

http://media.iwm.org...ge.jpg?action=dPosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users