#1 Rhysd2

Rhysd2

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hey all

Saw the article for flying lead written by Gadge in the magazine recently and thought it looked a lot of fun. So been lurking and reading on the forums, had a chat with Josh earlier and looking forward to the game in February along with 1 or 2 friends. See that a lot of you are old comrades in arms players that I used to play with before taking a airsoft break so will be nice to see you all again. Working on what kit I need etc at the moment but have a few questions and welcome any advice that can be given.

1. weapons: obviously winchesters and western revolvers are ok but what else? a chinese bolt action with wood furniture might be a cheap easy bet for the first game, but are there any cheap revolvers that are allowed just so I have something cheap as a side arm in case I go that route. Also any recommendations for rubber knives etc? also am I right in thinking no mausers, or other semi autos from that era?

2. clothes. All the western clothing links on here look great but to just try the game something a bit cheaper would be desirable. Is it just a case of a cheapy asda suit, waistcoat, and a good hat?

3. profession. Asked Josh what profession people were short on and he mentioned prospectors/miners. How exactly does that work ie owning your own pitch vs working for a mining company? Also any other good recommendations of routes to take that'll get me heavily involved and enable us to learn the various characters/factions quicker?

Think thats enough for now :) thanks in advance for all the answers.

Rhys

#2 aitch

aitch

DogCo Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

Charity shops for clothing mate, you should be able  put together something for £20 (not including hat or boots) I put my kit together at first for about £10 (high waisted trousers from oxfam) and the only two things I bought specially were my hat and a waxed cotton riding coat (£30 ebay) the coat isn't strictly "Wild West" but its long, waterproof and looking through shooting specs or mesh, good enough ;)  ... Despite the fact there are some players with "fancy duds" unless you want to be some dandified tenderfoot, or resplendently attired lawman there is no need for a huge initial outlay, nor have I heard of any stitch counting at a game, this doesnt mean to say you cannot improve your dress as your fortune is made (or lost!) in Shingle Springs  B)

Now remember guys... If your Engineer is smoking it is safe to smoke, If he is smouldering, could you please put him out !

#3 kris

kris

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

It's a fantastic game with a great atmosphere, you'll love it. There are cheap non revolving gas revolvers by ASG called R357s for about £35 which most of the crew use which will get you started and josh does allow any wood or wood effect bolt action but no scopes. I believe rubber knives are allowed but LARP stuff is preferred, it's safer. I believe shootnscoot.co.uk has started making a range of LARP swords, cutlasses, bowies and axes. Both Josh and the Airsoft Armoury sell cheap bolt actions and the R357s and Gunman Midlands sell the KTW range of winchesters which are fantastic.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Rhysd2

Rhysd2

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:06 AM

thanks guys thats brilliant

#5 Heide

Heide

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Bushcraft, martial arts, military history.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

resplendently attired lawman

Nothing wrong with cutting a dash among the hoopleheads!

#6 Rhysd2

Rhysd2

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

Did you all find it fairly easy to find the high wasited trousers in charity shops? expecting it to be tricky

#7 Wladek

Wladek

2nd Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

You have to be very lucky to get the high wasted trousers in charity shops.

Posted Image

#8 kris

kris

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

Get a waistcoat or a matching 3-piece suit and it won't matter too much. It's all in the accessories!
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 Peppered

Peppered

Lance Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

Howdy and welcome!

I am looking for members of the pedimore moonshiners as its just me at the moment ( I am also doing a couple of other characters concurrently so a gang would help).

Based outside shingle and la cortina. Making moonshine, anything to make money like panning, trapping, selling stuff acquired (ahem) trading with the Indians, selling moonshine to them won't cause no problems now will it?

So old clothes and being reall scruffy would be the best and be cheap. I am hoping it will be a large number of cousins etc being a slightly bad family in the neighbourhood. Slightly expendable ASBO types to help move stories along and keep the marshal busy?

Don't know where my shack will be yet but would appreciate your company.

#10 DirtyDenn

DirtyDenn

Captain

• GMA Marshall
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

now if Peppered is going to start keeping the law busy might be more incentive for the Kane boys to take up on the laws offer of work

peace sells, buy who's buying?

#11 Rhysd2

Rhysd2

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

You have to be very lucky to get the high wasted trousers in charity shops.

thought that might be the case. Wheres a good place to find them if I dont wanna get them new?

#12 Peppered

Peppered

Lance Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:51 PM

Hi, you know jeans were invented before 1850 as work wear? Might be an option.

For a few of my characters, I will be sporting a fine pair of dungarees as mentioned in texts from the 1600s. Not suggesting my dungarees are 400 years old in case anyone is confused! But they were workwear across the US from the very beginning.

#13 DirtyDenn

DirtyDenn

Captain

• GMA Marshall
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

well i bought some cheapo black jeans from asda a couple of sizes too big, it's given them quite a high waist

just need to remove the belt loops and get some braces

#14 Wladek

Wladek

2nd Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

thought that might be the case. Wheres a good place to find them if I dont wanna get them new?

Our stuff came from the States, but with postage and import they come in at quite a bit. Hooked on Country and FLB Westernwear in the UK have been used by many.

Posted Image

#15 Rhysd2

Rhysd2

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

thanks all. Going charity shop hunting the weekend for waistcoats, jackets etc and if all else fails I'll order the trousers. Watching a variety of pocketwatches on ebay plus gun belts. Any recommendations on places to buy gunbelts with holsters from?

Regarding shirts, will a standard plain white one do for now? and what sort of ones did they wear back then? wool/cotton ones? neutral colours? etc

#16 DirtyDenn

DirtyDenn

Captain

• GMA Marshall
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

i use a unbleached cotton "hippy shirt" with black waistcoat and black jeans last time

looked okay i think

there are gunbelts on ebay but they tend to fetch a pretty high price for the heavyweight ones

i've one for sale (bought a single then decided on a double) it's a bit lighter and more supple, painted rather than tooled

#17 DirtyDenn

DirtyDenn

Captain

• GMA Marshall
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

I've found a guy on ebay in the US does some nice gun specific cross draw just holsters

Solid, and nice and plain (my reference)

#18 DirtyDenn

DirtyDenn

Captain

• GMA Marshall
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

preference even

#19 Rhysd2

Rhysd2

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:03 PM

I saw yours denn but it was a bit fancier than I had in mind. Please do send me the info for the cross draw guy

#20 Rhysd2

Rhysd2

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

Went through the local places today with no luck. Need to go further afield. Did get a rancher trench coat type jacket on eBay and a pocket watch for a decent price though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users