25 replies to this topic

#1 Apocalypseneil

Apocalypseneil

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

Here we have a King Vision NV fitted to my XM177. It is a cheap (Under £200) Gen 1 NV with an

Infra Red Illuminator. It comes with a rifle mount but as it is a monocular it does not have cross hairs. I have fitted an extended eye cup to it.

We'll see how it works at the next Cold War Game!

xl1b.jpg

#2 Gadge

Gadge

Von Bek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

Having played as Soviet commander at the last once and being very aware they have night vision and dragunov scopes with IR detection too i'd probably not use the IR illuminator unless you want to be target number one for the snipers :)

#3 Yankee Mike

Yankee Mike

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Having played as Soviet commander at the last once and being very aware they have night vision and dragunov scopes with IR detection too i'd probably not use the IR illuminator unless you want to be target number one for the snipers :)

I second that it gets a bit tedious getting shot in the head by snipers!
Corporal Hancock: Sir.
[Offers mug of tea]

Major General Urquhart: Hancock. I've got lunatics laughing at me from the woods. My original plan has been scuppered now that the jeeps haven't arrived. My communications are completely broken down. Do you really believe any of that can be helped by a cup of tea?

Corporal Hancock: Couldn't hurt, sir.

#4 Sc0rpion

Sc0rpion

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Running and BMX freestyle.
    Gun repairs, Up grades and Down grades, ask about custom work.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

He should be fairly safe Gadge.......,,we dont have any snipers! Lol!

Scorp

#5 Gadge

Gadge

Von Bek

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

Am i the only one with a dragunov and PSO sight then?    I've not actually tested out the IR detection on the PSO but lardy's NV was very good at the last game, NATO glowed like xmas trees in the repro choc chip as it's got no IRR coating :)

#6 Sc0rpion

Sc0rpion

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Running and BMX freestyle.
    Gun repairs, Up grades and Down grades, ask about custom work.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

Am i the only one with a dragunov and PSO sight then?    I've not actually tested out the IR detection on the PSO but lardy's NV was very good at the last game, NATO glowed like xmas trees in the repro choc chip as it's got no IRR coating :)

Dan and i both have Svd's, i have a scope but not sure whether it has ird but i'll check for sure and stick it on the 74 mount, good call Gadge!

Scorp

#7 hitman

hitman

gma marshall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:guns!.....funily enough! girls! though have marginaly better luck with guns! may be girls with big guns is what i should be looking for? ooh, & a bloody gert big tank!.....& of course booze! so to some up, guns, girls with guns, big tanks, & booze....wow sounds like the best night out ever!

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

"i will be bringing my nice shiny new king arms aeg blowback svd, just fitted a tight bore barrel to it, shoots along way on .3's, dont, & will not have a scope on it, as, & this is a purlely personal thing, i dont get on with them on an airsoft gun, am better with both eyes open, like to see were the rounds go, etc. as i said, it's a personal thing, as i know alot of you get on ok with scopes. i personaly just dont think airsoft guns are accurate enough to waurent them, for the extra money, weight, etc."

Normally i totally agree but for 'filmsim' i always think that if a weapon would have always been scoped in the 80s (svd, m21 etc) it should be if you can for the game as it 'looks' better and makes you feel more in 'the film'.

But yeah normally total waste of time with airsoft ranges.

The PSO scope also has a fantastic built in range finder as well though so it's *genuinely* useful for spotting as you can tell someone  'enemy troops 400 metres from your position' and not just be guessing as the reticule has a 'ski ramp' in inclements... you line up the height of the taret person or man height object on the ramp and you know exactly how far away they are... with the built in IR detector it makes them *very* useful but it also contributes to real ones being *very* expensive.   I got mine for a song but it's worth a lot more than the gun it's on.

http://upload.wikime...icle_Scheme.png

see what i mean, handy eh?

#8 hitman

hitman

gma marshall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:guns!.....funily enough! girls! though have marginaly better luck with guns! may be girls with big guns is what i should be looking for? ooh, & a bloody gert big tank!.....& of course booze! so to some up, guns, girls with guns, big tanks, & booze....wow sounds like the best night out ever!

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

should realy read the title page of the post, before posting! you are talking about night vision scopes, oops, sorry thought you were talking about normal ones, excuse my ramblings! if some one whants to put a scope on my svd, then they are most welcome to have a go with it at night, i will be in my tent gaurding my whiskey bottle from a certain 'secret whiskey drinker', you know who you are! :ph34r:

james

#9 Gadge

Gadge

Von Bek

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

Hahah, yeah, it was more that early soviet PSO sights have built in IR detection so anyone using NV and an IR illuminator has basically strapped a beacon to their gun or head.

equally genuine military kit is treated with IR reducing processes (it's why it's best not to wash it too much) whereas civvy/repro market kit doesnt so under NV you really shine.

At the Afghan game we were up on cardiac hill for half an hour and through lardys NV and my PSO we pretty much were able to see where most things were, helped that it was a nice clear night.

#10 AdeUK

AdeUK

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hehe, as Warpact this time, it is useful to know that you could see us (we weren't hiding anyway :) ) but that Neil and Tom weren't able to see you with their NV :)

Posted Image

#11 Gadge

Gadge

Von Bek

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

Mind you we also patrolled *very* slowly and tried not to skyline.  I think we set the patrol out about 11.30, got to the summit of cardiac hill about 12.30am.  Did some provisional recce of the compex about 1am and went in en masse about 130   I know we were out with all the info around 1.50am as I went back alone with it, got a bit lost and had to ring Josh at 2am to try and get my bearings  :)

The theory that one man getting back with the documents would be harder to find and recapture is sound if that one man knew where he was going!  Obviously couldnt exfiltrate via the same route but made the cardinal sin of not recce ing the return route in advance.

edited: for correct timings, had to check my review/notes.

#12 Gadge

Gadge

Von Bek

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

"i will be bringing my nice shiny new king arms aeg blowback svd, just fitted a tight bore barrel to it, shoots along way on .3's, dont, & will not have a scope on it, as, & this is a purlely personal thing, i dont get on with them on an airsoft gun, am better with both eyes open, like to see were the rounds go, etc. as i said, it's a personal thing, as i know alot of you get on ok with scopes. i personaly just dont think airsoft guns are accurate enough to waurent them, for the extra money, weight, etc."

Normally i totally agree but for 'filmsim' i always think that if a weapon would have always been scoped in the 80s (svd, m21 etc) it should be if you can for the game as it 'looks' better and makes you feel more in 'the film'.

But yeah normally total waste of time with airsoft ranges.

The PSO scope also has a fantastic built in range finder as well though so it's *genuinely* useful for spotting as you can tell someone  'enemy troops 400 metres from your position' and not just be guessing as the reticule has a 'ski ramp' in inclements... you line up the height of the taret person or man height object on the ramp and you know exactly how far away they are... with the built in IR detector it makes them *very* useful but it also contributes to real ones being *very* expensive.   I got mine for a song but it's worth a lot more than the gun it's on.

http://upload.wikime...icle_Scheme.png

see what i mean, handy eh?

Apologies there James, i meant to comment on your post about sights normally being a waste of time (which i totally agree with) but accidentally edited your post.  Sorry chap, I wasnt concentrating and hit the wrong button!

#13 AdeUK

AdeUK

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Mind you we also patrolled *very* slowly and tried not to skyline.  I think we set the patrol out about 11.30, got to the summit of cardiac hill about 12.30am.  Did some provisional recce of the compex about 1am and went in en masse about 130   I know we were out with all the info around 1.50am as I went back alone with it, got a bit lost and had to ring Josh at 2am to try and get my bearings  :)

The theory that one man getting back with the documents would be harder to find and recapture is sound if that one man knew where he was going!  Obviously couldnt exfiltrate via the same route but made the cardinal sin of not recce ing the return route in advance.

edited: for correct timings, had to check my review/notes.

Nice one.

I would like to know if my placement of lamps hindered you in any way. The idea was to not only illuminate spots we couldn't cover (even shadows draw the eye), but to kill/reduce your Night vision so you could not see past too easily....we were so desperate we'd try anything  :)

Posted Image

#14 Lardassmonkey

Lardassmonkey

Captain

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

There was some lights that caused issues with the NV but I think that was security lights. There was one towards the Muj camp that blotted out everything in that direction from the top of the hill. Elsewhere I didn't really have any problems but then I didn't really view your checkpoint from a posiiton where lights would have been a hinderance. If anything they were helpful. :D

#15 AdeUK

AdeUK

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

Thanks , the only lights were ours so it is worth chatting about this next weekend ;)
Posted Image

#16 Gadge

Gadge

Von Bek

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

Yeah to be honest the lights made the PSO scope almost like a nightsight as any light through a 4x scope is amplified.  Like I say, we could pretty much make out the whole place and where people were, it only got confusing once we were in the buildings and lost an overall overview of the complex.  With more radios and keeping an observer on the hill it would have been even easier.

Basically any light helps gen1, it has to be bright light shined directly into it to hamper it (and quite likely wreck it), it's usually total darkness or near total darkness gen 1 has problems with, hence needing an ir illuminator indoors.

And again, the more ambient light the easier it is to see through any binos or scopes in general.   It's by no means an amazing improvement but you will get a lot more night vision using a 4x or more than you will with the naked eye.

#17 Gadge

Gadge

Von Bek

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

Nice one.

I would like to know if my placement of lamps hindered you in any way. The idea was to not only illuminate spots we couldn't cover (even shadows draw the eye), but to kill/reduce your Night vision so you could not see past too easily....we were so desperate we'd try anything  :)

What you really want in those situations is trip flares rather than lights as lights just shag your own natural night vision as a defender.   We did find some trip wires on the patrol but negated them.

Again, only steve/scorps sharp eyes and moving slowly stopped us hitting the trip wires.  Very nearly had us and would have if we'd not had been moving very very quietly and slowly

#18 AdeUK

AdeUK

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

Ah, I might have confused things. I was talking about our "night vision" not nv scopes....to be honest we didn't even know you had nv capabilities. In any event I think you came in through an area that didn't have lights.

Interesting about the trip wires. I agree on their usefulness but thought we were under orders not to use them, so. I Am surprised that you found some :)
Posted Image

#19 Gadge

Gadge

Von Bek

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

I tend to patrol at night with one eye closed anyway.  it's how we were taught to do it, that way if you trip a flare or get caught in a light you dont lose your night vision for 30 mins or more while it re-adjusts, its' *really* hard to get used to but well worth it when you're approaching known positions.  You cant do it all night unless you carry an eye patch (thats why pirates wore them allegedly, so they could douse their lights on sighting a ship and then have good night vision as they approached - not because they all had eye injuries. :)  )

#20 shaver

shaver

Captain

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

Ah, I might have confused things. I was talking about our "night vision" not nv scopes....to be honest we didn't even know you had nv capabilities. In any event I think you came in through an area that didn't have lights.

Interesting about the trip wires. I agree on their usefulness but thought we were under orders not to use them, so. I Am surprised that you found some :)

Yeah ditto that Ade we didn't put out anything of the type so am more surprised we didn't trip over them!

''leading the way''

When the rubber hits the road, the scenery only changes for the lead dog!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users